Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Ode to Uncle Jack


TO UNCLE JACK:

I live next to the oldest family owned tackle shop in the United States. It's a block away from my place in Baltimore. I thought that was fascinating when I found that out. I went in one day and was immediately immersed in the world of fresh water fishing again. I wish I got to share that with Uncle Jack, he would have loved it. 

I haven't been fishing in years, and yet walking into that store it was hard not to feel the pull of the water again, that itch to drop a line, let it sit a little longer, something will bite, and even if it doesn't, would you rather be doing something else? I could see why Uncle Jack loved it so much. 

Another thing struck me about the store - a few guys just hanging out enjoying each others company, talking fishing, making jokes,and laughing.

That's what I think of when I think of Uncle Jack. Before anything else, I think of a guy who always had a smile, a joke, and a magnetism. He could sit and keep you wrapped in a funny story, or simply drop a quip that would steal the show. The older I get the more I enjoy that good natured ribbing amongst men who love each other - the way a true friend can dress you down in a way that's frankly affectionate. Uncle Jack was always good for some ribbing, but you felt a warmth to it. 

As a little kid I looked up at this smiling guy who made others laugh and always held my attention. As I grew up and started getting some of his jokes, I realized how funny and quick he actually was. I felt a little older getting teased, but I knew from a guy like Uncle Jack, that could be as loving as any exchange we might have.. I don't like feeling old enough to know that won't happen again. 

When my mom called me on Thursday morning as I walked to work and told me, I was sad, but I was happy how quickly my mind jumped to better places. Immediately I conjured memories of family parties at the Lascotta house - barbecuing, running around the pool and the backyard, and always laughing with Uncle Jack. I remember when we lived with Mummum, feeling like I was suddenly in the old boys club when at maybe 6 or 7 years old I would get to hang at the house with Uncle Jack and Uncle Joe and my dad and the other men in the family as the aunts and cousins went shopping on Black Friday. I still tell some of the old jokes I remember hearing then. I finally get them now. 

And if his general personality couldn't fill you with warmth and happiness, Uncle Jack's chili and split pea soup sure could. I don't know if I've ever had better of either. If anybody wants to share that recipe, I'd like to think in the future, if I feel I really miss him, I can boil a ham bone or simmer some hot peppers - at least then I'll know I won't be watering up just because of the onions. 

I am going to miss my Uncle Jack. I am going to be mad that I can't still see him at a family party. I am going to be sad I can't sit and joke with him now that I'm more seasoned with age. I'm going to be a little relieved I don't have to try to best his one liners. I'm going to try to laugh a little deeper these days because I am learning I should.

But I'm going to be happy knowing that he was my Uncle, and he loved me, and he made me happy. The painful part of knowing people like Uncle Jack is it stings so much more when they are gone....but damn does it feel good to have known them when you did. 

I am going to miss you Uncle Jack, but I know wherever you are now, there are a few other guys sitting around with tears in their eyes too, but it's probably because they're laughing so hard they can't help it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment